On National Pet Day, we’re celebrating pups everywhere!
Let’s show our love and appreciation for our favorite (fur) family members today by baking them a special treat, giving an extra belly rub, donating to a local shelter, or volunteering our time. If you’re not already a dog owner, consider adopting a dog today. It’s always a good time to give a dog a loving home, and there are so many great dogs waiting for that perfect family!
Did you know there are about 77.8 million dogs living in households in the U.S., up from 66 million in 2000? That’s a lot of fur and paws to care for! But they are more than just our friendly pet, they are knitted into our families. They have amazing qualities that get us hooked from the beginning and keep us coming back for more!
Want to show your dog how much you care today? Here are 11 ways to show your pup some love on National Pet Day!
- Bake them a treat! We’re loving this recipe featuring carrots, zucchini, peanut butter, and pumpkin puree. Check it out here.
- Volunteer at a local shelter! Organizations are always looking for extra hands to help with grooming or special events.
- Shop as a family for blankets, towels, dog toys, and dog food to take to a shelter or dog organization. Check out our ultimate shelter wish list to help you with ideas!
- Take pictures of your pets! Document the joys of playing with your dog to cherish for years to come.
- Frame a sweet or playful picture of your dog for a family member’s office.
- Going somewhere? Take your dog along for the ride! As long as weather permits, your dog will love riding in the car and running errands with you!
- Take your pup on a hike or a long walk and discover a new place to play.
- Make your four-legged friend a new toy! There are many fun and affordable toys that you can make for your dog. See options here and here.
- There’s no such thing as too many belly rubs! Give your pup extra back scratches and belly rubs today!
- Play. Play. Play. Like children, our dogs thrive on attention and one-on-one playing time. Spend time with your dog by playing fetch, tug-of-war, or learning a new game!
- Adopt a playmate for your pup! Take a trip to your local animal shelter, and find a buddy for your dog!
There are so many ways to show love to your pet on National Pet Day! Let us know if you have a great idea by tagging us!